Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fun with friends.

Some friends called and invited us to an impromtu cookout by their pool yesterday. A couple of other families were there too, and we had the BEST time!

Vivian did not want to get in the car or out, but we were able to lure her with a Dora video on my iPhone and her bag of colored pencils (telling her we needed to go in the backyard to get some paper). Once inside she did so well. Our friends have a precious Springer Spaniel named Koko. Vivian delighted in throwing a tennis ball into the pool for Koko to retrieve. Koko would enthusiastically jump in the pool, grab the ball and then return to drop it at Vivian's feet. Right as Koko approached, Vivian would say, "Shake," and Koko would shake all the water off her fur as if on cue. This never failed to send Vivian into a fit of giggles. It was really cute to watch.

DSC_0777
Koko waits for Robert to hand Vivian the ball

DSC_0774
Vivian throws the ball in the pool

DSC_0773
Vivian laughs after telling Koko, "You got me wet!"


Dots and Will had a great time too. Some longtime friends of ours were there with their five-year-old son, Drew, who was quite taken with Will, following him around like a shadow the whole time. Will is great with kids, and he happily swam and played basketball with Drew. When it was time to go home, Drew told Will he was going to ask his mom if they could have a playdate!

DSC_0780
The boys enjoy their burgers

DSC_0781
The girls relax by the fireplace (sans a fire)


The adults enjoyed visiting and catching up. I prepared a pitcher of Sangria that was delicious and a big hit. I found the recipe on Epicurious.com. It was originally published in a 1973 (!) House and Garden Drink Guide. The recipe on the web site was written to serve a large crowd. I cut it down by three-quarters, and it was perfect for 8-10 adults. I wish I'd taken a picture as it looked really pretty served in a glass pitcher. Sorry that I also failed to get any pictures of the adults. I was too busy chatting and enjoying my Sangria.

Sangria

1 bottle red wine (recipe calls for Zinfandel, which I used, but lots of reviewers successfully used other varieties of red wine)
¼ cup brandy
2 T Grand Marnier
2 cups fresh orange juice
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup superfine sugar
3-4 ice cubes (I used more because I did not have time to chill the ingredients in advance)
2 cups club soda
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 orange, thinly sliced

Thoroughly chill all ingredients. Stir together juices and sugar then add to spirits. Place fruit slices and ice cubes in a glass pitcher and pour Sangria over. Stir in club soda just before serving.

A perfect accompaniment to a delightful summer evening!

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

Sounds like a great day! I am so glad Vivian had fun.

I well remember drinking Sangria in the 70s (when you were a baby), so I am not surprised you found that recipe from those days.

L,J

cotedetexas said...

Vivian looks absolutely beautiful here! she looks so happy - maybe that's why! what a cutie.

Rachel said...

What a fun day. I'm so glad Vivian was able to snap out of it and have fun. I know the worry when a kid doesn't want to go. I had one who moped and complained around the zoo for about 30 minutes, until he finally decided the dinosaur exhibit was kind of cool. If the whole day had been like that, I might have killed him (not really).

Your friends have quite the outdoor setup! I would love to hang out there too! How could you not have fun.

Have a good week.

Maggie said...

I'm glad that a good time was had by all.
Thanks for your comment on my blog and for the link to Katie's site. She continues in my prayers.

Hopsy said...

I love that photo of Vivian laughing, she is too sweet! I am glad you had such a wonderful end to a special day!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Sometimes the best times are those impromptu and spontaneous ocassions. I make a similar Sangria and I agree, it is yummy!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Looks like just the thing for summer on the deck. :)